Thursday, August 02, 2007

Two Year Mark

Well, it's been two years since Alan and I started on this journey. Starting in late July / early August 2005, it took more than six months to gather our materials for the application that we submitted in February 2006.

The passage of time is strange. I'll say it again, whether it makes sense or not: The past two years feel slow and fast at the same time. And I know that while things are dragging out right now, if/when they give us the green light, the process will move at a hectic pace. I'm not looking forward to that pressure, but it will be nice to have resolution (a yay or nay). Knowing that we don't have to move when we land makes a big difference. We have time to get our lives together.

Speaking of lives together ... with bad timing, I'm having a mid-life crisis (early or late, depending on your definition of mid-life), complete with anxiety attacks. I'm not fond of being so ordinary, but the experience is true. I don't want to move with this messiness. If I were to relocate to Vancouver now, I'd be distracted with all that comes with survival and exploration of a new home. That will wear off, however, and I'll still be me and have the same unresolved issues.

For the past year or so, I've been saying to myself (and sometimes to others) that I'll do this or that once I get to Vancouver. I've decided to start some things now. Canada will not be a panacea. I need to remember that.

Besides the little soap opera (telenovelita?) of my life, there's not much to report. Poor Alan has a dental appointment and two medical appointments (issue one and issue two) on the same day next week. It's not fun and it's expensive. I'm not really complaining; these are just the mosquitos of life.

We're healthy. We're wealthy (by world standards). I've lived long enough to have a mid-life crisis. We have health care. The future ahead has many possibilities. Not too shabby.

Forgive me if I've said this in a previous post: I'm always reminded of a phrase from the Passover Seder, where we say "next year in Jerusalem." It's an expression of hope and promise, of longing to be home with one's "family." To our community of U.S. to Canada immigrants: Next year in Canada! You're in our thoughts and we appreciate your hanging in there with us.

5 Comments:

Blogger West End Bob said...

Yes, we're also at the two year mark. We started gathering things for the attorney in late July of '05. It does, and at times doesn't, seem like it's been that long . . .

Getting closer, eh?

At lunch today "drf" and I had a nice conversation with a couple at an adjoing table from S. California. They have purchased a home and are also thinking of immigrating to Vancouver. The rationale was the same as ours: Basic disappointment of the direction the US is going.

Glad we beat the rush!

7:58 PM, August 02, 2007  
Blogger gito said...

I can't wait until you guys post: "We got it!".. Hang in there, you're almost there!!!!!

4:11 AM, August 06, 2007  
Blogger laura k said...

I also used to say "next year in Jerusalem - next year in Canada"! :)

You're wise to not put off your life until you're in Vancouver. There's still life to be lived, no matter where you are.

Good luck with everything. Slow and fast at the same time, I know exactly what you mean.

5:46 PM, August 06, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Next Year in Canada!

Hang on tight, the ride is about to start :-)

7:15 AM, August 07, 2007  
Blogger Tom said...

I know my patience is just about worn down waiting as well. I keep saying to myself next week I will hear something.

4:29 PM, August 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home