Sunday, April 15, 2007

Checking In

Hey folks,

I know it's been a while since I've posted -- looking at the date of the last post, it's been two months. The reason for this is a combination of not much going on and too much going on that I don't necessarily feel comfortable writing about in a blog. (And, yes, the theme song to "Corner Gas" is running through my mind.)

This will just sort of be a random collection of sometimes vague thoughts. (I think that might just be my life's legacy.)

First, I was very happy to meet MSEH from Two Moms to Canada during her Seattle stop of her West Coast tour. I know it's been said before, but I've really come to feel like our little group of bloggers (check links on the right side of this page) has become a little family of sorts. I share in the joy of your good news and in the disappointment of your bad news. Plus, all you folks just really seem like good, cool people. I appreciate this virtual community. I hope to meet you all in person some day.

Well, I guess I should continue with what's on my mind most at the moment, which is that I'm sick. I left work early on Friday not feeling well, thinking maybe I ate something that didn't agree with me. Alan and I spent several hours in the E.R. later. The good news is that it's not my appendix, nor any major organ. Also, good news is that it's not serious as long as I take the treatment seriously and follow up; I should be right as rain (where does that phrase come from and why is someone my age using it?) in a week's time. (It could very likely get serious without medical care.) The bad news is that it's a pain (figuratively and literally, although nausea is more the problem now). Luckily, I have insurance through Alan's employer, so finances are not a big issue (although we still expect to see a large -- but not heart-stopping -- bill; welcome to health care in the U.S.).

(By the way, everyone at the hospital was great about Alan being with me the whole time. No one even looked funny at us. This is a great improvement over when I took Alan to the E.R. a few years ago. Of course, they checked the "other" box for our relationship on the forms, but that's not really their fault.)

Of course, I worry about how this episode will affect our hopes/plans to immigrate. I really don't think it's something that would keep us out of Canada. I'm just hoping that it won't require more tests and such to convince them. Although as medical procedures go, CAT scans are piece o' cake, the thought of having to do it again is not pleasant. And I'm afraid that's what they (the omnipotent government physicians in Ottawa) would make me do. I guess there's nothing to be done about that except to see what happens.

I'm just finishing a plum work assignment; Wednesday is when the woman I've been filling in for gets back from maternity leave. Up to Friday, my concerns were more about what's next. Now I'm wondering if I can make it to work these last days and when I'll be up to working again. It's just a stupid little down episode in life; I know that.

There's another medical issue that's just come up for me that I just really can't write about. Again, I don't think it's anything that would keep us out of Canada, but it may cause extra questions and tests.

Recently, I celebrated one of the "big" birthdays (you know, one of the ones that end in five or zero). I'm far too vain to say exactly which one. I've been a little obsessed with the approach of this one for a few months now. I know it's stupid and that I should be incredibly grateful to live in such health, wealth, and comfort -- and I am. I feel very fortunate to have a loving and supportive life partner. But I also can't help but look at what I haven't done and feel critical of myself.

Instead of wallowing, I tried to think forward at opportunities. I didn't want anyTHING for my birthday this year, no gadgets, entertainment, or trips. I wanted to think about what I really want in life. My biggest "present" to myself is getting my body in shape. The stars aligned and I've lost a bunch of weight (more than 10%) and started a little exercise routine in addition to the three to six miles I walk every day anyway. (Having surpassed my target weight before I got sick, it's now getting ridiculous.)

Oh, some good news: For the first time in years my cholesterol and triglycerides are in the target range! This is really quite the achievement and/or luck. I have to say, the fish oil pills really do work; I highly recommend them. Alan and I take the "extra strength" pills twice a day; I pay extra for the special coating because "fish burps" would just make me sick. I'm a vegetarian and I had to set aside my aesthetics (am I using that word correctly?) to take these pills. But, damn, they really did the trick.

I've been pushing myself to be more social, which is not the easiest thing for me. (Those of you who have met me might find this hard to believe considering my motormouth. Overcompensation.) What's funny is that I'm developing relationships in Seattle when maybe in a year (or less?) we might be relocating. My sister-in-law put this spin on it and it seems to make sense: One, it's easier for me to put myself out there BECAUSE I know I might be leaving soon and Two, this could be practice for when I am in a new city and wanting to make connections.

When we first started this odyssey, which is almost two years ago, my feelings were that our roots in Seattle were still pretty shallow, despite almost a decade of being here. (And I "blame" no one but ourselves.) It's not that we don't have any friends; we do. But I didn't see myself crying when I said goodbye, as I did when we left New Orleans. The thing is, now I can; I think I'm going to need a box of tissues if/when we move. And I see myself coming back to Seattle a lot on weekends and (truly) inviting people North to see us. (Question: If we have P.R. status, will going back to the U.S. a lot -- like a couple weekends a month -- be an issue? I know about residency requirements both to maintain P.R. status and to achieve eligibility for citizenship. But will the back-and-forth cause any problems?)

I've decided, with enthusiasm, that I want to go back to teaching, which is a career that got derailed a while back. There's a certificate program in Vancouver that I'm very excited about. Upon completion, with the B.A. that I already have, I can get certified to the teaching in which I'm interested. I only want to teach adults; I don't want to work with minors. My primary area is ESL (or more politically correct, TESOL), but I also have had experience in Adult Basic Education and helping folks get their GEDs or high school diplomas as adults. I would also like to look at training, but I don't as yet have many formed ideas or information. From what I've read, Vancouver would have a lot of opportunities for me to teach.

You'll notice there's not any politics in this post. I'm just fried. You know how I feel; nothing's changed.

Digression (and now for something completely different, for you Monty Python fans): Alan and I have been listening to Paula Poundstone read her book on CD. One thing she mentions is that she's an atheist. She talked about an incident, with humor, of how a prominent religious person said, kiddingly, at a public event that they would "need to have a talk." Paula Poundstone noted that while she laughed along with the others, she couldn't help but think that no one would think that her saying that would be funny, that she needed to convince a religious person to her way of thinking. Good point.

That almost catches this blog up; there will be another post coming very soon (honestly). I hesitate to promise tomorrow because of how I'm feeling and I've had to work through a few bouts of nausea while writing this. For anyone who's made it to the end of these ramblings, thanks for reading.

5 Comments:

Blogger laura k said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere. I'm so glad you and MSEH met in person. I agree: we are a family - a community.

I know you are a worrier by nature, but I hope you will TRY not to worry TOO much about the health issues, as far as Canada goes.

I'm sure you know by now that prospective immigrants cannot be excluded from Canada based solely on medical issues. And there's no other reason (that you've mentioned, anyway) why you would be excluded.

I wish you the best of luck with your health - and I congratulate you on making positive steps towards being more healthy! I have naturally high cholesterol and often have high blood pressure (which has mysteriously dropped since moving to Canada!), and have always struggled with my weight, so I know very well how hard it can be. You're giving yourself and your partner the greatest gift by working on it. Good luck.

But as far as Canada goes, you'll be fine. All will be well. And I think you'll know soon, too. I consulted by crystal ball and...

OK, I don't know any such thing. But I can all but promise you, based on the experiences of dozens of other people and a Supreme Court of Canada decision, that you'll be fine. Try not to raise your blood pressure by worrying, eh?

Happy Birthday!

Best of luck always. I know I speak for the whole community when I say we'd love to get more frequent updates. (But no pressure!)

And p.s. If you didn't cry when you left, what good would that be? :)

5:27 PM, April 15, 2007  
Blogger West End Bob said...

Glad you're back posting - Hope you keep it up regularly.

I thought about you guys today as I was standing at Davie St. and Beach Ave. watching the 54,000+ (apparently Canada's largest event of this type) runners in the Sun Run. Not quite as festive as Pride Parade, but an event nonetheless.

After talking with MSEH and the Our Journey towards Canadian Immigration girls, it sounds like worrying about medical issues is not warranted. Also, as Laura says, the Canadian Supreme Court decision of a few years ago is pretty clear. I was especially gratified to know that a cholesterol test is not even included in the procedure. In my case, that is a MAJOR relief!

Happy 20th - whoops, I let it slip - birthday!!

5:45 PM, April 15, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi and ditto on all the good wishes, reassurances, etc. I do hope you're feeling better soon! I'll keep you both in my thoughts.

6:02 PM, April 15, 2007  
Blogger Tom said...

I was pissed because at 38 I had cataracts and also needed to go on cholesterol and triglyceride medication. I felt defeated and old.

I realized it's just my genetics, no matter what I do these will be issues for me. Sometimes you just have to give in.

11:55 AM, April 17, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi this is timothy

10:27 PM, July 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home