Friday, July 13, 2007

Where Things Stand

Greetings:

Today is three-months since the receipt of the initial assessment (I.A.) and request for further documents from the CIC. The deadline.

On Monday (July 9), I made what I hope will be our final submission to the Seattle consulate. This follows the first response delivered on April 20, when we gave the CIC four out of the seven requested items. Of the three remaining: You know we received the FBI clearances. And that we've had the medical exams. While we're still following up on Alan's irregular results on one of the lab tests, we've submitted what the doctor in Vancouver asked for. We don't know if Ottawa will want more; this may be a hold up. (What we're doing now is for own purposes. They've ruled out all the scary stuff, by the way, but we'd like a "why" and not just "why nots.")

About three weeks ago, we received a response from the IRS. What a mess. A mass of paper with an industrial staple. There were duplicates of things (the cover letter, one of the tax returns), empty pages, pages with non-sensical codes on them. Buried were certified copies of three of the four years asked for. But the forms W-2 were re-creations, not copies so they didn't have employers' information on them; it was just the gross income and the taxes withheld. Since I imagine that one of the reasons the consulate specifically requested the W-2s is to verify employment, I don't think they will be satisfied.

For the fourth return (the one furthest back), the IRS said they were not able to find it, to give them more time, and that they would send a refund if they decided to give up. A week ago, I received a refund check. I copied the refund check and included a copy of my request form to the IRS with proof it was mailed. With the IRS cover letter (both copies!) I'm hoping the CIC will see that I've done what I can.

I submitted copies from my records of the tax returns for all four years, along with all of the W-2s. I affirmed in my letter to the CIC that these were accurate copies of what I submitted to the IRS. They can see that the numbers match for the three years provided by the IRS; it would be reasonable to trust my copy of the fourth year. However, reason and bureaucracy do not always go together. We shall see. But I can't imagine what more I can do.

I'm tired of the immigration hoops; I'm running out of steam. This is typical for me in the home stretch of any drawn-out process. I know it doesn't make sense.

I've tried to catch up on all my "Canada reading" -- the yahoo group lists and the blogs. Everyone seems well. Excellent. Onward ...

5 Comments:

Blogger West End Bob said...

"Hoops" is right! It appears the wonderful Infernal Revenue Service was not too helpful . . . quelle surprise!

We are assuming our meds left the redneck doctor's yesterday on their way to Ottawa. Now we await the "dreaded brown envelope" - it seems to be quite a common request.

9:46 AM, July 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there! I'm keeping you in my thoughts!

10:18 AM, July 14, 2007  
Blogger laura k said...

Try taking a mental break. Put it all aside and live your life for a while, keeping thoughts of Canada as minimal as possible.

You say you're running out of steam, but all your steam won't make the process move any faster. Try the alternative: setting the steam down as low as it will go.

I echo MSEH: hang in there. You'll get there.

5:16 AM, July 15, 2007  
Blogger gito said...

I can understand your fustration, don't worry too much, is part of the process believe it or not.

6:05 PM, July 19, 2007  
Blogger Red Well Theater Group said...

Thank you so much for documenting your process. As my partner and I are considering the move to Canada, you've really helped to enlighten us about what it takes. I'll keep you in my thoughts and keep checking back to see how your journey progresses. Best wishes for the future.

12:55 PM, July 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home