Wednesday, September 27, 2006

not a good month

I've had worse, much worse, and it's all so puny anyway in the grand scheme of things ...

First, I got the stomach virus that was going around work. Then I got the cold/flu virus that was going around work. And now I'm "between jobs." You know, I had just -- just -- convinced myself that this assignment would get me through until/if we go to Vancouver. Ha! Karma, I tell you. I must have been a horrible boss in a previous life.

I don't worry too much about the financial aspect; with some squeezing, we can make it on Alan's salary alone. But I am concerned about the CIC application. I'm applying as a SKILLED WORKER. Not that there's ever been a question about my skills. But if I'm not working, kinda hard to show that I'm employable. Damn me and my high standards. (I will be treated respectfully and professionally at work.)

Now that I'm recovering from my latest illness (God, that was a really crappy cold; besides the usual stuff, at times my whole body hurt so bad), I feel more like I should be working. At the same time, I haven't been very forward in finding anything. Note that I'm writing this and not doing something else.

I'm way behind in my blog reading. I do know that Nick and Mason are on their way; I believe that tomorrow is the start of their new life in Toronto. (I also hear that there's news in Gito's situation, but I haven't caught up with the details yet.) I am so happy for them; I've really grown to like and respect them. But of course it brings up feelings. Will this be us in a year? Will we be the first couple not to make it? And the stress to come -- you know what they say: be careful what you wish for.

Am I having doubts? Not really. Every time I have the conversation in my head, it always boils down to the conclusion that I truly believe that our future will be safer in Vancouver. This is in addition to the alienation I feel in the U.S. and the affinity I feel for Canada. One of these days I will write more specifically about that.

I know I'm not as active as the other blogs, but I do care and I catch up eventually. I see that there's a new member of the "community." Welcome, Tom & Emilio of Canadian Hope. Good luck to all of us, everyone!

[In addition to adding a couple of blogs to the list along the right side of the page, I've also added three yahoo! groups of interest to the links list, and two titles to the book list. Oh -- I finally fixed the "Contact Us" email link with the help of Thomas, a new reader and hopeful CIC applicant.]

2 Comments:

Blogger West End Bob said...

Daniel,

'Bout damn time you got around to posting!! "Blogland" had just about given up on you . . . Glad you're back on the mend. Now let's put "happy thoughts" in our heads and look forward towards our final goal:

Getting the hell out of bushland!

I think a "blogland" reunion sometime in '07 is a goal for all of us - Wha'cha think?

6:33 PM, September 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're back! I look forward to hearing more from you guys out west!

7:04 PM, September 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home