Saturday, August 12, 2006

SAGs (AKA: BS)

OK, so this is not the most burning topic in the world today. But I can't resist commenting. First, a confession: I broke down and bought a copy of People magazine. I couldn't resist Lance Bass's big announcement, not that it's a surprise. (A member of a boy band is gay? Did you also know the sky is blue?) I wanted to know how this was written about in the mainstream press and what Lance had to say.

Alan could hear me in the next room yelling at the magazine. (I yell at the TV, the computer monitor, and a variety of printed material, but my understanding is that I only have a problem if I start to hear them reply.)

The offending passage:

I want people to take from this that being gay is a norm. That the stereotypes are out the window. Being who I am and living my life the last few years and not hiding it, I've met so many people like me that it's really encouraged me. I kind of call them the SAGs -- the straight-acting gays. We're just normal, typical guys. I love to watch football and drink beer.

Lance, being gay is NOT normal -- normal being average or in the majority. Queers are a minority. Being different is permissible in a pluralistic society. And I do not fight for my right to BE gay but ACT something else, whatever the hell that means!

Be yourself, damn it! If that means beer-swilling and football-watching, fine. If that means lipstick-wearing and hip-swaying, then you go, girl. Meanwhile, there's a whole middle ground between macho meathead and queen about town that most of us fall into. But I don't care where on the spectrum anyone is; we should all be allowed to be whoever we are at any given time. That's what freedom is about. That's what self-acceptance is about.

I object to the idea that somehow a nelly queer is wrong or bad or less than your SAGs, Lance. FYI: Nelly queers started the Stonewall riots and the modern gay rights movement that allows you to announce "I'm Gay" on the front cover of People.

Lance is young. He proudly reports that he has a supportive grandmother because she responded to his announcement by saying, "I may not agree with it, but I love you just the same and you're welcome in my house anytime." Well, yes, that's better than shunning him. But I have to wonder just what there is to "agree" with. Alas, I'm being picky; I'm glad Lance's family hasn't disowned him.

I just hope he reaches a point where he doesn't feel a need to define himself in relation to how much he thinks he's acting like the majority.

1 Comments:

Blogger West End Bob said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:22 AM, August 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home