Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Another Year Older

So, while I don't have an exact date, it was the last week of July 2005 when Alan and I began this venture. That is when we first started seriously discussing trying to move to Canada, when I first started doing research, when I first started reaching out by reading blogs and writing their authors. So it's been a year.

About half that year was spent preparing the CIC application and the other half has been in the queue. We've watched while the process for other couples ahead of us has moved forward. I guess that means there's hope for us.

Come to think of it: I have yet to hear of someone rejected. There have been folks who have gone through years of agony jumping through hoops. But I haven't heard of a rejection. I don't know if that means that those rejected keep quiet and don't participate in the groups/blogs I read or if this is all just a horrendous hazing that CIC makes us all go through to prove that we're serious. (Which I guess has some merit.)

This doesn't keep me from worrying. (What, me worry?) I barely slid in at passing score and my work history, while including many impressive experiences, has not been traditional. While I want this to happen, I do try to put myself in a space where I can be OK with whichever outcome.

By the way, I heard from the person with whom I interviewed. She says she's not really too worried about my possible relocation in a year or more. Her concern was more with my expressed hatred of office politics. She said it would be disingenuous to say that the workplace in question was without its tensions, being an executive corporate office. I responded that it wasn't that I couldn't deal with the realities of work life, but I didn't want to deliberately place myself in shark-infested waters and that our conversation had allayed my fears (in regard to some behavior I had observed when I had been assigned there 18 months ago). She wants to talk with me again on the phone; we'll see what happens. In a move that has probably sealed my fate, I think I have decided that I want the job.

In other news, the Supreme Court of Washington State has decided that marriage is for breeding and the state is under no obligation to provide equal status for same-sex couples. I'll let Dan Savage, editor of our local weekly alternative The Stranger, speak for me in this op-ed piece in The New York Times.

1 Comments:

Blogger gito said...

Hi Daniel, nice to see you are back!

3:12 AM, August 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home