Monday, January 23, 2006

Hitched, Canadian-style

Mission accomplished: Alan and I are recognized as a married couple under the law in British Columbia/Canada.

Wondering what to do after the deed, I suggested that we go about filling out any form we could find so that we could check the "married" box.

But, seriously, I don't feel "more married." It was a little disconcerting to feel like we needed to scramble to get this legal recognition. I am thankful that at least it's possible, and in my lifetime. I still think it's a ridiculous issue and can't understand why anyone cares, except the couples who want the recognition. Also, having the recognition North of our current border makes me want our move to go faster.

Well, I'm watching the election results. Conservative minority. Not the end of the world and perhaps for the best. It's not good to have a sizable portion of the population feel completely alienated from the government, so now's their turn. And, as I've written, the Liberals need to clean up their party and it will only happen having been voted out of power. Maybe a minority government is always good, no matter what the party. The U.S. is very winner-take-all and increasingly divided. It's good when parties have to acknowledge the existence of other parties. (Reference Mr. "I earned politial capital and I intend to spend it." -- even though he barely "won.")

I can't wait to get the CIC application submitted ...

3 Comments:

Blogger gito said...

Congrats!

3:07 AM, January 25, 2006  
Blogger nyana said...

congrats! i currently live in toronto,canada and undertook that crazy application process with no lawyers but with much success!

i learnt a fair deal on the way, managing to reduce the processing time from a would be 2 years to a whopping 6 months! i've got a tonne of tips should you be interested. (my application was male/male too)

good luck!

11:57 AM, January 31, 2006  
Blogger Daniel wbc said...

Thanks, people!

nyana, do share ...

4:28 PM, February 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home