Friday, December 02, 2005

Quick Follow-up to Yesterday's Post

Last night, as I was reading "What Canadians Think ... about almost everything" in bed prior to lights out, I tried to find the source of the statistic I mentioned in yesterday's post -- and couldn't. I looked and looked and the book doesn't have an index (librarians shake their fists). But I read it somewhere; I really don't just make stuff up out of thin air. At the same time, I'm not satisfied until I can provide proper citation, so I've deleted the item from the post until I can do so.

I made a bunch of phone calls and web visits today trying to find a service to officially translate (provide a certified translation of) the police clearance letter from Costa Rica once I receive it. (It's like getting a document notarized; only certain people can do it.) At first it seemed that there were loads of options, but it wasn't true. I'm too tired to write the whole story. The first legitimate place quoted me $250.00!! I've decided to work with a woman who runs her own business in translating materials and quoted me $50.00. (Funny how that seems reasonable in comparison.) She knew what I was talking about without my having to explain, seemed ingelligent and competent. She can't start work on it until December 12, but I still have work to do myself on the application, so why not? At least it will get done.

Forgot to mention yesterday that we did check out the job situation while we were in Vancouver. There seem to be a lot of jobs, but on the low end of the scale. I visited the Vancouver branch office of a temporary services agency that I have had luck with here in Seattle and am thinking this will be a good starting place. They can access my records now because I'm in the computer system already, so she told me to come see them as soon as I had my SIN card or am close to it.

Temping has a poor rep, but I think it's a great way to get started in a new city. One has access to businesses and workplaces that would otherwise be inaccessible. I get to learn about the job market, what my skills are worth, what different "corporate cultures" are like, etc. Plus I meet new people and that's good socially and vocationally -- a great way to get local experience and pick up local references. Alan and I both temped when we first moved to Seattle and it worked out very well for us.

I feel that I have been neglecting family and friends (including newly made ones on the 'net through this process) for the past several weeks. Ack! I will feel better and back in the world again when I get this application on its way to Buffalo!

To those who have taken the time to write comments (and anyone else who may be reading this): thank you for your support!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home