Wednesday, August 31, 2005

First State Police Clearance arrives

In the mail yesterday, two items related to our application.

The first is an employer letter which doesn't quite have everything required, but considering what I went through to get it (I got passed around a lot over the phone, left a lot of voice mail), I guess I'm lucky to have anything.

The other envelope is from the State of Louisiana. Woo-hoo, our first state clearance. Boo-hoo, no. They returned everything back to us, saying that they will not deal with us, only an embassy or consulate. This was unexpected.

Argghhh ... what to do?

After being pissy for a bit, I come up with what we think is a brilliant plan. I'll go to our local Canadian consulate, tell them the story, and ask if I can have the clearance delivered there so that I can pick it up and include it with our application to Buffalo.

Well, I went during my lunch hour today and it's a no-go. They won't accept anything there unless we have a file there. And we don't have a file yet in Buffalo (apparently one's file number is very important), so we can't send it there. The nice woman at the desk said to include a letter of explanation with our application and when we get a file number to apply for the clearance and have it sent to Buffalo.

It sounds like this is no big deal to them and that they're used to it. I guess it will work, but I'm sure it will slow down the process for us. :-(

Out of respect for the current crisis, I will refrain from saying anything bad about Louisiana.

btw, we've heard from all our friends from New Orleans and they're all OK -- although some don't know what they will come home to. We talked to Alan's parents just before the storm and they were going to wait it out at their home in Mississippi (not the coast); we've yet to contact them again. We will try again tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home