Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Why did I create this blog?

Other blogs have helped me and maybe I can be helpful to someone contemplating moving from the U.S. to Canada. I have read blogs by a woman who just (in late July) received her permanent resident card and is in Canada with her husband and children, a woman from New York who has been approved and is moving very soon with her partner (countdown is less than a week now!), and another male/male couple that have submitted their application in February and have a place in the queue for review. (They're in waiting mode now.)

I'm new to all of this and I'm not sure of the etiquette. I feel I should ask permission before I mention a person's name (or nom du internet) or blog. That's why I'm not being more specific. [I've since been informed by L-girl that it's OK to link to anyone who has a blog, so I have edited this post not knowing HTML but cutting and pasting and crossing my fingers.]

I will use this blog to document our process as we complete the application for permanent residency in the skilled worker category. We're proceeding as though we're going through with it -- and we're pretty sure at this point that we are. Decision time will be when we've completed the application to the best of our ability, ready for submission. The application fee is hefty, and it's not refundable. Truth is, we're already emotionally invested (as well as out a few hundred dollars) and our hearts are dreaming of life in a kinder, gentler place where our family is recognized and the values are more akin to our own. (When I'm not tired after a day's work, I hope to write more about that.)

Nothing earth-shattering. But it may be helpful to someone.

3 Comments:

Blogger laura k said...

Since I think I recognize myself in the above, allow me to leave the first comment, and be the first to welcome you to the blogosphere.

Here are some points of etiquette.

It's ok to link to anyone who has a blog. Bloggers want you to, cause that's how readers find us.

For example, where you wrote "female/male couple" above (or another word in that sentence), you would link to wmtc. Assuming, of course, that you're referring to me. :) And the same for each of those references.

You generally use the person's "nom du internet," as you put it (lovely!), or whatever name they list on their blog.

It's considered good form to link to anyone who links to you, though you don't have to.

If the person doesn't have a blog, then you just refer to him/her by an initial or first name only, some non-ID'ing handle.

Have fun!

11:17 AM, August 27, 2005  
Blogger Daniel wbc said...

Thanks, L-girl, for jumping in with the first comment! I've really been inspired by your blog.

1:16 PM, August 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Link away :-)

Welcome to the neighborhood

12:36 PM, August 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home