Monday, November 13, 2006

US: Immigrants May Be Held Indefinitely

WASHINGTON (AP) - Immigrants arrested in the United States may be held indefinitely on suspicion of terrorism and may not challenge their imprisonment in civilian courts, the Bush administration said Monday, opening a new legal front in the fight over the rights of detainees. Nov 13, 11:23 PM (ET)By MATT APUZZO

The above greeted me when I returned to my computer. I was watching the TV program Studio 60 and I heard a great line between two people having a heated discussion, something along the lines of "You don't have to remind me that my party [Dems] is full of panderers and mediocrity." So, I guess it's not a secret. That, or at least Aaron Sorkin and I agree. :-)

But back to the horror that is the above news. I think I've discovered a new vein in my head because it's throbbing. We're talking about people who have immigrated to the United States legally and have legal status to be here. That is what we hope to be one day North of our current border. In Canada, we know that Permanent Residents have the same rights and obligations as citizens with the exception of voting and holding certain government positions. So I think about my counterparts here in the United States. Essentially, the current junta (what other word can be used to describe this group?) is saying that they have no rights.

The United States declares itself to be the land of democracy, freedom, and opportunity, the leader of the "free world." FALSE ADVERTISING. The Statue of Liberty is weeping and her tablet welcoming those yearning to breathe free has cracked down the middle and fallen into the depths.

This is a nightmare. Someone please wake me up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

I was a bit freaked out with this news. Living with an immigrant is hard enough, but being one is quickly becoming a horrible nightmare here in the US.

I recall the things Gito said about being scared every time the door bell rang. The Republicans seem to savor the fear they instill in others. It makes me sick.

6:21 AM, November 14, 2006  
Blogger West End Bob said...

Yes, the repugs have the "with us or against us" mentality but somehow I'm having a hard time getting all excited about the dems solving all the problems bush has wrought. I have this nagging suspicion things will be politics as usual real soon . . . .

8:13 PM, November 15, 2006  
Blogger James said...

Just utterly ridicules! I hope we get a Democrat in the Oval Office in 2008. I wish you all the best! I'm in a similar situation: I am American and my partner is German. We live in Amsterdam now, but when he's done with his Master's I want to move back to the US, but we can't....

9:05 AM, November 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home