Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Legend of the "Self-Made Man"

It really pisses me off when Americans don't appreciate what they have here in the United States. I guess there are folks who would think that about me, but it's not true. I feel incredibly LUCKY to have been born in a "first world" nation. I live with wealth and freedom unimagined by most of humanity throughout history, better than royalty of the past. I live in wealth unimagined by most of the planet, where lots of folks live on less than a dollar a day. You bet I appreciate it. But it doesn't mean that I think I somehow "deserve" it; I was lucky. I didn't choose where to be born.

It's interesting to me when wealthy people talk about poor people wanting handouts, getting something they didn't work for, as though everything the rich have was due to their own hard work. NOT! It takes a society -- past, present, future -- to build and maintain wealth.

Do I think a medical doctor should be paid more than a dishwasher? Absolutely. The doctor has completed years of education, has taken the time to develop important specialized skills, and has a great deal of responsibility. So, I do not begrudge the doctor a huge house, the best car, the latest toys, etc. But the dishwasher doesn't deserve to live on the street or in a slum without medical care. We are all a part of society and how we treat those with the least among us is the ultimate test of a civilization.

I came across a post on the blog City in the Trees (Toronto, Ontario) that just rang out truth to me. Thank you for your words and more power to you, Lone Primate:

Let's keep in mind that we, as individuals, owe nearly everything to the society in which we live. Without it, you're just some guy banging rocks together in the forest, listening to the wolves howl. 99.9% of everything any one of us has or achieves is based on the millions who came before us; when and where we happened to be born; who our parents were, what they already had, and the other advantages that had already accrued to them (which in turn were based on the same societal opportunities)... in short, virtually none of what any of us has or builds is based on some unique effort or personal virtue. Mostly, it's luck of the draw, and taking an advantage and running with it. If you're smart about it, you ought to benefit from it... but those benefits should not be absolute or infinite. The more you glean from your society, the more you owe back to it, both morally and materially.

5 Comments:

Blogger laura k said...

Great post, Daniel! I so agree. And how nice to see our great friend Lone Primate quoted.

By the way, Lone Primate's "city in the trees" is Toronto, not Vancouver.

10:24 AM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger Daniel wbc said...

Yes, as his blog says right up front. :-)

Color me embarrassed. {sheepish}

Changed ... and pretending it's always been that way ... our little secret ...

Btw, we need more of you folks out West!

12:45 PM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger gito said...

so very true! I can't think of anything else right now but to say that the last few days I have been some how 'changed' by just watching the Canadian Forces ads on TV.... I don't want it to give it all away, you have to watch it when you get here to understand what I mean. WOW talking about humanity and respect for life! hugs!!!

3:53 AM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger Tom said...

Excellent commentary. I am so tired of people born on third base pretending they hit a triple.

11:23 AM, November 20, 2006  
Blogger West End Bob said...

Great post, Daniel!

It would be great if others appreciated what they have in life and not neglect others who aren't as fortunate.

9:42 PM, November 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home