Saturday, April 19, 2014

We ARE Canadians

No longer "would be".

After almost nine years from the very start of the process, this week we became Canadian citizens.

It was a stressful journey and, at times, maddening.

I am humbled.  As difficult as this was for us, what must it be like for people who are not native English (or French) speakers?  For people whose cultures are much more different?  For people who are fleeing imminent danger?  For people who are moving much further away from family and friends?

I want to pay it forward by helping others living here who are on the path to permanent residency and/or citizenship.  One way I am doing so is by volunteering at an organization that serves refugees.  I teach English (ESL) and I love my students.  I hope to do more.  I would really like to teach classes that prepare people to take the citizenship exam.

Was it worth it to move from the U.S. to Canada?  Yes; for me/us, yes.  I love where I live.  I feel more engaged in Canadian/BC/Vancouver life and less alienated here.

Is it perfect?  Oh, universe, no.  There was a person in our small blogging community that described it as "less worse" than the U.S.  Spot on, in my opinion.

I want to make it better -- and I feel like I can make more of a difference here.

Though it may seem like an odd statement to make after almost six years of silence, THANK YOU to all in our blogging community (with, I would say, L-girl/Laura as our solid center) for helping to make this possible.  This is not just a phrase, not something pithy to say: ALAN AND I TRULY COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU ALL.

I wish you all the best.

Daniel in BC

P.S.  As for my six years of silence: Life is life and I am me wherever I go.  I am not one to publicly air personal private info; I am not comfortable with social media.  For me, my lack of communication over these years does not detract from the truth of what I said above.   I mean it all.

Although I don't know who will see this post. :-)

Peace

2 Comments:

Blogger laura k said...

Congratulations!! And thank you. :)

8:04 AM, April 20, 2014  
Blogger Fiona said...

Welcome.

4:02 PM, April 20, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home